Some times I get to do projects that are really fun.
For a black and white themed party dedicated to Audrey Hepburn there really was no other dress to make.
Because this is a costume I cleated a little. The lace and lining is a stretch fabric. This makes the pattern making and fitting easier. The black and white ribbon were made from strips of satin.
The hat was more troublesome and it isn’t sitting quite as angled as it should, This was a small concession to the neck of the wearer. A base was made of Buckram and then covered in black and white satin.
For the first time in a long time I am back adding to my blog. I did just have a baby and move house and I am sticking to that excuse.
I have a few more dresses from the Weddings coast style 2015 which I haven’t added and I am going to put that to right straight away.
This dress was a chance for me to experiment. I planned the shape and knew I wanted ruffles at the hem but had no set idea about how I wanted to do them. This gave me a chance to do a lot of experiments. In the end a mix of tulle and taffeta frills and rosettes was the winner.
One great pleasure for anyone who does any sewing is working with amazing fabric. I was lucky enough to be able to work with some exquisite beaded lace which leant itself beautifully to being used for a hair piece.
The way most laces are made mean that they won’t fray so it is possible to clip out the details and use them in creative ways. For this hair piece each layer and petal was wired individually to lift them up and give volume to the finished floral spray.
The image at the top shows the hair piece tucked into a lovely soft up-do.
Below are close ups showing the front and the back. The wire visible from the back as well as the clear comb. I would usually cover the comb base in some silk but in this case the lace was so delicate that the invisible comb was much more subtle.
I am going to simply let these photos speak for themselves. When I first spoke to this bride and she said she was being married in Paris I nearly fainted.
The dress is made from a base of silk taffeta overlaid with a gorgeous beaded lace.
This lovely dress is made of 2 layers of fine cotton muslin. I haven’t really used cotton before for bridal but here it worked perfectly. It was so fine it draped and fell perfectly for a bias cut.
To make the backless dress I created the whole dress in cotton and then made the crochet lace mandala and stitched it over the dress, once the crochet was in place I cut away the cotton from the back.
The side is closed with little loops and shell buttons.
I have this dress waiting in my wardrobe to be worn again by a relaxed beach bride. Get in touch if you would like some more details, photos or to try it on.
This dress was a challenge, The model who was planning to wear it had to pull out close to the date, I was so lucky that the beautiful model below was willing to help out a stranger and fit the dress to perfection.
The dress is made in a heavyweight polyester satin. It has a bias cut halter bodice which I closed with pearl buttons. The skirt is not exactly a bias cut but falls like one, I draped the skirt from one whole piece so the grain isn’t straight down the front but it isn’t exactly 45 degrees either. When the skirt was closed the last of the fabric was allowed to drape at the back as an asymmetric train.
Here are the details of the veil, some close up pictures and construction comments.
I made this dress for my sister and it was perfect for her beach house wedding. It was great to see it out of its bag one more time.
The dress is made in a heavy weight silk satin. It is a simple shape with a deep neckline and super cute pockets hidden in deep pleats through the side.
We styles the dress with a simple veil and no flowers so she could show off the pockets.
I really wanted to show off the details of this veil. It was a bit of an experiment using the crochet detail but it all ended up looking so wonderful with the dress (and my lovely model) I am really proud of it.
Here is the crochet detail on the wire base. The tulle was sewn along the base to keep it against the head in the Juliet cap style worn in the 30’s.
The tulle I used is a soft bridal tulle. It falls more like silk tulle than nylon tulle. It was perfect for this look.
Here are some photos of a lovely dress I made. A simple shape but made from gorgeous navy and black lace.
The skirt was made from Poly chiffon that I can source from a wholesale supplier. The quality is amazing, better than what I have seen at retail.