An overblown rose made from wired sections of lace taken from the brides mothers wedding dress. The stamens are vintage pearl, the feathers are the palest emu in my collection with their darker tips trimmed off.
This bride was incredibly lucky, the sales assistant where she purchased her dress gave her some scraps of lace when she collected her dress. As she came to me to make her dress smaller and not larger the lace wasn’t needed for on the dress.
Along with the leftover lace and a scrap of chiffon trimmed from her hem I made this lovely hairpiece.
Below images show chiffon petals being sewn into a rose and wired lace wrapped in white florists tape waiting to be combined.
The addition of 4 little comb for flower girls came later when I realised there would be more lace than needed. These also included some blossoms made from the mesh between the lace and some vintage pearl stamens.
One great pleasure for anyone who does any sewing is working with amazing fabric. I was lucky enough to be able to work with some exquisite beaded lace which leant itself beautifully to being used for a hair piece.
The way most laces are made mean that they won’t fray so it is possible to clip out the details and use them in creative ways. For this hair piece each layer and petal was wired individually to lift them up and give volume to the finished floral spray.
The image at the top shows the hair piece tucked into a lovely soft up-do.
Below are close ups showing the front and the back. The wire visible from the back as well as the clear comb. I would usually cover the comb base in some silk but in this case the lace was so delicate that the invisible comb was much more subtle.
I really wanted to show off the details of this veil. It was a bit of an experiment using the crochet detail but it all ended up looking so wonderful with the dress (and my lovely model) I am really proud of it.
Here is the crochet detail on the wire base. The tulle was sewn along the base to keep it against the head in the Juliet cap style worn in the 30’s.
The tulle I used is a soft bridal tulle. It falls more like silk tulle than nylon tulle. It was perfect for this look.
Along with the dresses used in the Bridal show I also made a few veils. This simple veil was made to complement a simple silk dress. The veil was designed to fall to the back with no allowance made for it to go over the face. The veil was attached to a small comb and the comb edge covered in a grosgrain ribbon.
This is the perfect veil for when you are planning flowers in your hair. It weighs almost nothing so can be tucked in under your floral comb without complicating the whole look.
Making a veil like this is a simple process. With a cheaper tulle it is possible to make a test run before the good tulle is cut. This means that you don’t even need to know exactly what you want, we can stand in front of the mirror and play.
Short hair is a complication added into the wedding mix that cause lots of trouble for some brides. I am sorry to admit that I grew out my signature crop for lack of better options.
I know that it was unrealistic standards of feminity imposed on me and all brides by our screwed up sexist society but dammit, I wanted to look pretty too. Here is a wonderful bride who got to keep her wonderful short hair and get ALL of the pretty.
Another search of the hardware store has yielded more sewing inspiration. This beach bag is made from scraps of the print fabric used at the Breakfast at Tiffanys fashion parade combined with fly screen mesh.
The mesh is easier to work with than I expected as long as the Iron is kept well away. I made rope handles covered by hand and 2 internal pockets, one with a zip.